Has the sensitivity accidentally been changed in the monitor settings, this can happen. If the setting is too for your baby's mattress the Sensor Pad can continue to detect movement near to the crib such as:
floorboards, central heating, rocking/pacing even something as light as a fan
In addition to this when monitoring baby’s movements you should not use a mobile, toy that plays music etc in the crib – these all emit a form of movement, albeit small on the surface of the mattress or the crib itself. Whilst the Sensor Pad is able to detect movement it is unable to distinguish between baby’s movement or something inside or attached to the crib.
Lastly, if you are using a bedside crib you are unable to use the Sensor Pad when it is attached/touching your bed. When any bedside crib is attached/next to your bed the Sensor Pad cannot be used as it is sensitive enough to detect movements on the surface of your mattress.
The Sensor Pad cannot differentiate between yours or baby's movements and may not alarm.
Therefore, we firstly need to establish why this is occurring, whether your Sensor Pad is at the correct level for your baby`s mattress so can you please carry out the “Four Corner Test”, please see the following for how to do this:
4 corner tests
- Place (or check that) the Movement Sensor Pad is in the middle (centre) of baby's sleeping area - where ever baby lies/is placed in the crib
- Switch the Nursery Unit ON
- Gently place your hand in the furthest corner of the mattress & and wait for 20 seconds
- If the movement alarm does not sound after 20 seconds do continue with the following and repeat in the remaining corners
- Remove your hand from the mattress and step away from the crib
- The Movement Sensor Pad is sensitive enough to detect your movement if you are touching the crib
- After 20 seconds a series of continuous beeps (The Main Alarm) will sound from the Nursery Unit.
- Place your hand on the mattress and after a few seconds the alarm will cease as the Sensor Pad will have detected your movement
- If the alarm sounds when you place your hand for 20 seconds in any of the corners adjust the sensitivity by turning it up a single level and repeat the 4 Corner Test
- If the alarm does not sound when you step away from the crib reduce the sensitivity down a single level and repeat the 4 Corner Test. Keep adjusting the level until the alarm sounds ensuring that movement is still detected in all four corners
Try the new setting over the next couple of nights and remember, when movement is not detected the monitor will alarm, when movement is detected, the monitor will not alarm.
If the Four Corner Test does not resolve your query to rule out other factors that may be causing this:
• Is your baby asleep when you go in to check
If yes, this would indicate that your baby is in a deep sleep as the alarm has not woken baby
• When you check on your baby does the alarm continue or does it cease on its own
If the alarm ceases on its own this will be because the alarm has re-established your baby’s sleeping pattern
If the alarm does not cease on its own please let us know
• Does the alarm only happen at night
If yes this is because you baby, as with adults can go into a deeper sleep at night rather that when they nap during the day
• Is there a particular time that this is happening
Baby’s have sleeping patterns when they go in to deep sleeps and because of this the alarm can go off at certain times in the night
• Are you using additional sleep aids such a Sleepyhead, Cocoonababy etc
We do not recommend the use of the Sleepyhead with the Angelcare Movement Monitor, as this could mask the movement of baby. We have had parents contact us with this issue when using the combined products
• What type of mattress are you using
We know that the Sensor Pad will work effectively with a standard hypoallergenic, spring, coir (and spring/coir combined) mattress as these allow your baby’s movements to be transferred down on to the pad.
We also know that the Sensor Pad will NOT work with a Hollow Framed, Dual Sided, Memory Foam Mattress;
A Hollow Framed Mattress is mainly a US product, it is basically a number of poles that are fitted together with a tight cover fitted over this. As a result of their being nothing actually inside the mattress (hollow) no movement is transferred down to the Sensor Pad. As a result the monitor may false alarm indicating that baby's movements are not being detected by the Sensor Pad.
A full Memory Foam or Dual sided Memory Foam Mattress masks the movement of your baby on the surface of the mattress due to the density of the foam and baby's movements do not transfer down to the Sensor Pad. As a result the monitor may false alarm indicating that baby's movement is not being detected by the Sensor Pad