AC517 False Alarms
Thank you for contacting the helpline.
We are sorry that you are experiencing this with your monitor.
Firstly, we want to reassure you that if you are hearing the Alarm from your monitor it indicates that your monitor is working as it should - the Camera Unit is not receiving any signals from the Sensor Pad to indicate movement is detected so the monitor is alarming.
We would like to add that Angelcare Movement Monitors do not monitor your baby’s breathing, they monitor your baby’s movements.
It is therefore set to alert you once it does not detect your baby`s movement on the surface of their mattress for 20 seconds.
Young babies do have different sleeping/movement patterns compared to adults when sleeping, this is normal.
As baby grows, becomes more mobile in the cot coupled with extra layers, wet nappy, lying on their sides, hunches and in a favourite corner of the cot - these can make it harder for the pad to detect baby's movements.
In such instances the sensitivity may need adjusting to allow for this as, the Sensor Pad can detect movement over the whole of the surface of your baby’s mattress, from corner to corner if it is at the correct level. Additionally it may be that the sensitivity has accidentally been changed in the settings, this can happen.
Therefore, we firstly need to establish why this is occurring, whether your Sensor Pad is at the correct level for your baby`s mattress so can you please carry out the “Four Corner Test”, please see below for information on how to do this:
NOTE: Please follow the process below within 20 seconds after turning ON both units otherwise the movement alarm will sound.
Your baby must NOT be in the cot during this test.
Firstly, please check the level that the sensitivity is set to, this is done by following these steps:
• Switch the Camera Unit & Parent Unit ON
• Tap the settings icon
• Tap the Sensor Pad Icon
• Tap the – (lower) or the + (raise) until sensitivity is at 2 - this is the factory setting and should only be adjusted if required
• Press the Save Icon on the bottom of the screen to save this setting
Please Note if you do not carry out this step the monitor will revert to the setting it was previously on and you will need to begin again.
Again now, follow the process below within 20 seconds otherwise the movement alarm will sound.
Now, with the Sensor Pad placed in the middle of the cot underneath the mattress:
• *Gently place your hand in the furthest corner of the mattress & and wait for 20 seconds
• If the movement alarm (series of loud continuous beeps from the Parent & Camera Unit) does not sound carry this out on the remaining corners
• Remove your hand from the mattress and step away from the cot. The Sensor Pad is sensitive enough to detect your movement if you are touching the cot
• **Due to the lack of movement, after 20 seconds the movement alarm (series of loud continuous beeps) will sound from the Parent & Camera Unit
• Step back to the cot and place your hand gently on the mattress, after a few seconds the alarm will cease as the Sensor Pad has detected your movement
*If the alarm sounds when you place your hand in any of the corners please adjust the sensitivity by turning it up another bar as detailed in step 4 and repeat the Four Corner Test again
**If however the monitor does not alarm when you step away from the cot reduce the sensitivity down 1 bar and repeat the Four Corner Test, keep adjusting this until the alarm sounds ensuring that movement is still detected in all four corners.
It may also be that the battery in the Sensor Pad requires replacing. For optimum use this requires replacing approx every 6 months.
In the top left corner of the Parent Unit screen where the Sensor Pad icons shows, once the battery is running low this will revert to a low battery icon, see below:
If the information above does not resolve your query to rule out other factors that may be causing this:
· Is your baby asleep when you go in to check
If yes, this would indicate that your baby is in a deep sleep as the alarm has not woken baby
· When you check on your baby does the alarm continue or does it cease on its own
If the alarm ceases on its own this will be because the alarm has re-established your baby’s sleeping pattern
If the alarm does not cease on its own please let us know
· Does the alarm only happen at night
If yes this is because you baby, as with adults can go into a deeper sleep at night rather that when they nap during the day
· Is there a particular time that this is happening
Baby’s have sleeping patterns when they go in to deep sleeps and because of this the alarm can go off at certain times in the night
· Are you using additional sleep aids such a Sleepyhead, Cocoonababy etc
We do not recommend the use of the Sleepyhead with the Angelcare Movement Monitor, as this could mask the movement of baby. We have had parents contact us with this issue when using the combined products
· What type of mattress are you using
We know that the Sensor Pad will work effectively with a standard hypoallergenic, spring, coir (and spring/coir combined) mattress as these allow your baby’s movements to be transferred down on to the pad.
We also know that the Sensor Pad will NOT work with a Hollow Framed, Dual Sided, Memory Foam Mattress;
A Hollow Framed Mattress is mainly a US product, it is basically a number of poles that are fitted together with a tight cover fitted over this. As a result of their being nothing actually inside the mattress (hollow) no movement is transferred down to the Sensor Pad. As a result the monitor may false alarm indicating that baby`s movements are not being detected by the Sensor Pad.
A full Memory Foam or Dual sided Memory Foam Mattress masks the movement of your baby on the surface of the mattress due to the density of the foam and baby`s movements do not transfer down to the Sensor Pad. As a result the monitor may false alarm indicating that baby`s movement is not being detected by the Sensor Pad
If this does not resolve your query let us know the outcome and also include the following information:
· The Batch Number. This is located on the underneath of the Parent Unit, Camera Unit on a barcode label
· Proof of purchase, receipt showing the date and product. We can accept a picture/photo clearly showing the date, product & retailer if this is easier for you
· Your full name, address and a contact number
This will enable us to process your query.